Mission to Read

Wife, technophile, bibliophile, and student who obsesses over the latest gadget and political drama. I read compulsively. It's an addiction really. I also blog.

The Sea of Monsters (Percy Jackson and the Olympians, Book 2)

The Sea of Monsters (Percy Jackson and the Olympians, Book 2) - Rick Riordan I’m not as crazy about this one as I was the first, but it was still good. It had a ton of action, great character building, and a storyline that would hold even Percy's attention.Tyson was one of the best things about this book. He is such a lovable big baby. He is courageous when it’s needed and will sacrifice everything for Percy.Annabeth seems to be falling for Percy and Percy is at that age where it’s not obvious to him that girls exist in that way, so this is endearing to both characters.Percy is growing up and he dislikes killing things even when they are attempting to kill him, which can get annoying. It is also part of why we love him, but him not wanting to kill makes him vulnerable again and again.I like that Hermes isn't going to give up on his son regardless of how many times he does things against the gods.The major flaw with this book is the action can feel forced at times. This book is aimed at 10-14 year olds with short attention spans so I understand the need for constant action, but at times it felt like he was throwing in a monster just to add action and not really add anything to the story.The copy editor didn't do a great job on this one either. There are typos that really shouldn't be there in a book produced at this level.To view more of my reviews go to Mission to Read!