Mission to Read

Wife, technophile, bibliophile, and student who obsesses over the latest gadget and political drama. I read compulsively. It's an addiction really. I also blog.

Pandemonium (Delirium)

Pandemonium  - Lauren Oliver This is an impossible book for me to review. I should’ve liked it and at times I did, but generally it was more like pulling teeth to get through than enjoyment. I think my issues with Pandemonium are the same I have with Lost. We have this storyline that jumps back and forth asking a ton of questions within the viewer/reader and then not resolving them. And, oi, the ending. What was that? That made no sense and seemed to have no point within this storyline. So you are going to throw in something that has like no validity and makes you question everything just to get us to read the next one? Seriously? Why?And really are you going to cheapen this with that? I mean seriously. Seriously, seriously!Take out the ending and the switching from present to past and I would have been able to enjoy this book so much more!I enjoyed exchanges between Lena and Julian. The connection there makes Lena become stronger and more independent, which was seriously lacking in “Then” sequences. The action was tense throughout so it should’ve been a quick read. It had tons of poignant scenes and was very emotional.There is this quote within that kinda sums up the way I feel about this book, “Some of them are ballons bobbing up through the sky: totally self-contained, and unreachable, but beautiful to watch.” It’s unreachable, when you finally feel comfortable in the world Oliver has developed she throws you this really odd way and it’s like what do we believe?It pains me that I did not enjoy this book more. I really wanted to, but I simply didn’t. There are plenty of people that loved it, but I was not one of them.