Mission to Read

Wife, technophile, bibliophile, and student who obsesses over the latest gadget and political drama. I read compulsively. It's an addiction really. I also blog.

Spider's Bite (Elemental Assassin, Book 1)

Spider's Bite - Jennifer Estep Orginal review over @ Mission to Read As a fan of Jennifer Estep’s young adult series, Mythos Academy, when I saw this as one of the choices I could pick from I knew I had to get it. I predicted that I’d love it, but it would have a slow entry while character building was being done as with Mythos, but I found something much different.Gin is lovable. Even though she’s a killer with a bit of a skewed morality system that has been handed down to her from her foster father and fellow assassin. She’s a bit too judgmental of others and is completely cynical, but this is completely justifiable with her past.Two things that are never explained, but should have been are: Is magic normal? Normal only in Ashland or universally? Does everyone know about the magic? And how does Gin know what everyone is feeling? Or is she simply guessing when she tells us what other characters are feeling? This is the only aspect that threw me off. Not knowing enough about the universe that has been established.The plot while being in constant action balanced well with character development. We truly got to know Gin, Finn, and the cop. We understood each one of their motivations even though we only saw things through Gin’s POV.I love Estep’s YA, but I feel as though she truly shines in the adult genre. I loved this book so much that I had to immediately go request more from the library.