Mission to Read

Wife, technophile, bibliophile, and student who obsesses over the latest gadget and political drama. I read compulsively. It's an addiction really. I also blog.

The Vespertine 1st (first) edition by Mitchell, Saundra published by Harcourt Children's Books (2011) [Hardcover] - --N/A-- What to say about this read? A touching story that dared to bring tears to my eyes. The first few pages the lyrical period voice was difficult to grasp, but by the third page in it was charming in a way that did not let me go. I resented getting thirsty in the middle of this book, because I simply did not want to put it down.I found Amelia to be just the right mixture of impetuousness and good-heartedness. She is not in the least a boring character. She in fact is one that you must keep your eye on because you never know what she’ll dream of doing next. Zora is utterly delightful, like a mischievous little doll. She is usually the leader in mischief and has the support from her family to not be afraid of doing so.Amelia’s talents can be frightening at times and it’s not until late in the book we find out what Nathaniel’s secrets are. If you like historical fiction, I’d recommend this, but those of more contemporary tastes may have a hard time relaxing into the slower voice that so represents those times.