Mission to Read

Wife, technophile, bibliophile, and student who obsesses over the latest gadget and political drama. I read compulsively. It's an addiction really. I also blog.

Unclean Spirits (The Black Sun's Daughter, Book 1)

Unclean Spirits - M.L.N. Hanover I really enjoyed this book and I’m excited to start the next in the series. This is a urban fantasy with rich characters and a paranormal mythology I hadn’t read before. Where vampires and all other paranormal creatures are a parasitic being from another realm that take over the host’s body. The action starts on page one and doesn’t end until the very end, but there is still plenty of time to come to know the characters within. Each one of the characters is loveable it their own flawed way. None more than the point of view in which the book resides, Jayne. She is very relatable to me. Being young and having her world change completely within a day. The way she deals with it shows real growth of character. This is probably the most growth I’ve seen in a character arc ever. When your entire comfort zone is gone in a day you change who you are completely in an instant. It can seem feel like an impossible task within itself, but she grew and adapted to her new life. A life full of big baddies who could kill her in an instant.The secondary characters were just as powerful. Midian is hilarious and I love that he is a great cook. His dishes had me salivating. Aubrey annoyed me, quite honestly, but he was a good man with a heart that seemed to be in the right place. Ex is adorable in his, “I am the man. I will take care of everything type.”Jayne is strong enough that this will never be the case, but it’s refreshing when guys are like that. My favorite of the sidekicks though is Chogyi Jake. He is understanding, never judgmental, and is a great for just being there for Jayne throughout this process. I really came to feel connected to this strange but loving family.The writing was superb. It was so smooth and every detail was thought out. I fully enjoyed this book and can’t wait to read the next, which is luckily sitting on my bedside table.